Saturday, March 28, 2020

Are Americans more likely to become primarily professional orchestral musicians or keyboardists?

Playing music is great, and my parents put me in piano lessons because I played a little keyboard I got when I was 2 years old.  I wanted to sing since I was 5 and play violin since I was 6, or the flute if I wasn't allowed.  I was interested in oboe being a challenge and in viola for being "special;" so, for a long time I never really picked.

I sorta miss piano and organ, but playing an orchestral instrument I may be more likely to stick with it more than other kinds of instrumentalists.  A lot of people in Europe seem to focus on awkward keyboard instruments weirder than an accordian, for their idea of folk music or even other things.

What could I do?  I was an organ major, but I'd prefer to be a performer than a professional church musician.  You know, I was in church choir mostly age 8-20.  I played piano, keyboard, and organ for church.  I accompanied 2 Catholic masses on electric keyboard as a senior in high school and usually one line parts on electric keyboard for 3 musicals in high school.

Also, people think to get intricate and skilled at violin you need to start as a toddler or small child.  Well, I'm doing violin, and I did a group class when I was in my 1st year of college for the Music Education degree, and it it was like an hour 3 days a week and I wonder if I was the only one who practiced, which was like 2 minutes or less a day.  I brought it around with me.  Then, I went back about a month before turning 30 years old and took private violin.  I taught myself for awhile, and now I'm majoring in it in college online, for the Bachelor of Arts.  In total, I will have done about only 2 full semesters of music coursework and general studies on the side to get this.  I'm going to be 34 years old in about 2 months.  I'll probably graduate in about a year, unless I need to take more violin or get more advanced to do the Senior Recital or just need more violin credits but everything else done.  It's a bit irritating on the whole, and Spring Break is almost over.

No comments: